The Bloody Tale of the Broken Bed—Things as they are 6

I sleep on a broken bed. It’s been several months now, but I am not complaining. One of the thin iron plates that hold the plywood is bent, because of heavy people wrestling on my bed, so the middle part budges down a little. It’s not noticeable once you get used to it, though.
 
Under normal circumstances I would probably have gotten the bed fixed the day I knew about it, but my problem is if it is fixed, I won’t be able to get near it any time soon. Our cubicle gets lots of visitors, and my bed is at the most advantageous position, so it’s a popular hangout for people to sit on, and sleep, if they feel lazy to go to their cubicles. It feels really rude to wake up someone from deep sleep, so I go sleep somewhere else.
 
My bed is so popular because my roommates do not have public-friendly beds. The one above me (my bed is bottom bunk) is untidy, and since it’s up there, no one goes there unless really tired and bored. The other bed (the single one) is so untidy that it actually repels people away. Since the real owner of the bed is rarely at school, the one from the top bunk uses it as his dumpster-cum-bed, and so he keeps it even untidier than his real bed. So that leaves my bed as the Most Desired Bed in Cubicle 12.
 
It is still very popular though. Even now, several guys take a nap, or sleep the night on my bed, only to wake up the next morning complaining about ‘terrible backache’ and the ‘hard pillow’(I like it that way), and yet come back after some time to sleep there again. In fact, Bi, the expert in falling asleep in other peoples’ cubicles sometimes brings his pillow to my bed. Then I have no option but to sleep on the top bunk, scared of the venereal/skin diseases I might catch from the bedclothes or the wood.

I love my bed, broken or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.