Learnings from my Nepal trip

I was in Nepal exactly two years ago. I thought I had enough content for like a bazillion words, and I was gonna get back to the glorious days of a post-a-day here. Instead, all I did was smirked and snorted and winked and cleared my throat and told people what an interesting and great time I had in Nepal, too obvious, like a loser.

There were revelations, for sure. Hopefully they will come back soon because human memory is only so good. Some rather vague impressions remain though.

1) It's becoming wayyy to crowded. I had trouble breathing 9 years ago. Now I have greater trouble breathing.

2) So effing expensive.

3) Kids (in quotes, don't glare) are going on a lot of dates, everywhere, and everyone is making out all the time. I'm not kidding, like. WHO ARE THOSE PEOPLE WHO'RE IN A RESTAURANT AT 10.30AM ON A WEEKDAY MAKING OUTTT? Are they skipping school to make out or what

4) No one wants to remain there, not even the doctors. Particularly the doctors even.

5) For a lot of people, there appears to be no light-at-the-end-of-tunnel thing.

6) Literally everyone has a cousin or two or eight abroad sending them expensive as shit things back, see points 2 and 4.

7) Food is getting more interesting and better, because I guess it's getting more expensive(?)

8) Alcohol, particularly the new breweries, are good, and the new brands of beers by old companies are great too.

9) The fundamentals haven't changed a bit. Like not even the tiniest. It's just that there's a new generation that waited long enough, ran out of patience, and doesn't want to hang around anymore because, nope nope nope, byeee.

10) Sllliiight less complete domination of the I/NGO's in the job market, but not thaat much more. As long as they take all the brightest and the smartest, the private sector ain't gonna go nowhere.

11) Women (mostly still girls though) are getting more outspoken, and have a much clearer vision of what needs to be done, and how they can get there.

12) Women are still unreasonably -- and shockingly -- trusting of men that should not be trusted at all and should be given zero benefit of doubt.

13) Becoming more india-oriented, while becoming more anti-India, both at the same time.

14) Roads are still dusty as fuck, air is still nasty as shit, regulations are still gross, law enforcement still a disappointment, politics still a farce.

15) All the people I knew and was excited about are almost married or getting there and have trouble making time for me. Or aren't around anymore because they left, or are looking for a way out. Look at all the points above.

16) What do I do when I go back, I will know no-one. Ah fuck.

17) Apparently (and this is post-2017 info, but I'll add this here anyway) there's interesting non-parent-subsidized businesses coming up that have at least some chance of making it.

You didn't get a 100k words, but there's gotta be 1k words in here at least, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.