Sthani, Part 3

She is acting strangely again. She does this every time something is bothering her. I told her to keep calm and everything would be alright the last time I talked to her. She told me to shut the fuck up. That was the first thirty seconds of our skype conversation.

She seems to be looking for something, something very specific. I ask her if she is looking for a guy-- she has been off and on and whatever-the-hell-I-don't-care with someone whom she absolutely refuses to talk about.

'What, is it someone old? ' I ask.

Silence.

'Someone younger?'

No reply.

'Someone who does not happen to be a guy?'

She doesn't say.

I ask her how the college is.

By the time those two hours end, I know of all the affairs, cheatings, and maybe-will-happens of her college. I am thankful of that. She still does not tell me what is up with her.

Sthani says she has changed a lot since the last time I wrote about her.

'I read what you wrote on me, and I know I am a different person now. And no, it's not your fault, hai. Suru-suruma padhda it definitely sounded like me, and I felt uncomfortable reading those. Now they're stories about a different person,' she says.

I ask her if she has changed for the better. She takes some time to think. She doesn't know, she tells me. She doesn't know anything these days re. I am now very concerned. Sthani is the most confident, self-assured, and suave girl I know.

'Don't worry about me-- it's the assignments and the dhulo-dhuwa and everything else. You know how it is. I know your semester's very hectic, and so is mine, ' she says.

I nod. My semester has been hectic, and it's only beginning.

She is hungry, so she wants me to watch her making and eating scrambled eggs. As fabulously exciting as that sounds, I refuse. I am busy, but that is not why I don't want to watch her eating. See, she's is a very slow eater, and will very carefully chew her food. So the eggs would be an hour.

*

When I talk to Sthani a few days later, she is in a considerably better mood, but she still won't tell me what is up with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.