Burn, man, burn

I'd like to go the Burning Man festival some day. While I'm in college. I tell my friends, who are Americans, that, and they snigger knowing. "Do you really," Ne asks, apparently you need to have RV's and tents and that kind-of skills. I read up on the Burning Man, and my friends -- American or not-- don't seem to be the type. Maybe Su is, but then he doesn't need Burning Man anyway.

I was reading this (long-ish) piece in GQ about the burning man. The writer Wells Tower breaks whatever walls non-fiction narrative may have -- he talks about his taking notes and taking notebooks to places and his friends talking about the article project. Which made me thing if you could really have a 'genuine' experience if it was intended to be a writing project. Wouldn't the fact that you're writing about it influence your otherwise behavior, and make it somehow not genuine? I guess the answer comes in two phases: real life will always things create situations beyond your control, writing or not, so experiences cannot really be scripted. Besides, even if you DO influence your experience, I guess your experience as a writer trying to 'experience' things for your article is genuine, and if you are not hypocritical about that, the writing will feel genuine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.