Mr Upadhyay releasing another novel

Note to Samrat Upadhyay if he gets this in Google Alerts: I am a big fan. Loved that story about the 'Rana boy'. Please write something more less-painful.

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt: Buddha's Oprhans, a novel by Samrat Upadhyay: "Called 'a Buddhist Chekhov' by the San Francisco Chronicle, Samrat Upadhyay's writing has been praised by Amitav Ghosh and Suketu Mehta, and compared with the work of Akhil Sharma and Jhumpa Lahiri."
"Upadhyay's new novel, Buddha's Orphans, uses Nepal's political upheavals of the past century as a backdrop to the story of an orphan boy, Raja, and the girl he is fated to love, Nilu, a daughter of privilege.Their love story scandalizes both families and takes readers through time and across the globe, through the loss of and search for children, and through several generations, hinting that perhaps old bends can, in fact, be righted in future branches of a family tree.

Buddha's Orphans is a novel permeated with the sense of how we are irreparably connected to the mothers who birthed us and of the way events of the past, even those we are ignorant of, inevitably haunt the present. But most of all it is an engrossing, unconventional love story and a seductive and transporting read."

Samrat Upadhyay's new novel is apparently coming soon. As much as I liked his previous books, I am sort of getting tired of the common premise of his, Manjushree Thapa and Sushma Joshi's books which can be usually restated as

"OMG! I left my country and I miss it too much. I wanna cry but I cant because, eww who cries, right, mate? OMG! Is that Zack Efron? Mmm I would love to have *SEX* with him... Noo, what am I thinking, my culture does not allow that... Eww, now I am neither a Nepali nor an American. Damn, I would even fit in into Nepali society anymore... Bohoohoo... Maybe, I could get rid of my sorrow by randomly hooking up with random guys/chicks/both who look Asian/Indian/Nepali. Nooo What did I do... I failed my people, and I failed America. I deserve to die."
I must admit, I have not read as much Manjushree Thapa and Sushma Joshi as I have read him, but from what I have been told, they're not that different. Of course, I am still a huuge fan of Upadhyay, and his story about 'The Rana Boy' in one of the collections is one of my favourite stories of all time, for some reason I don't understand(no one even remembers the story). I really hope this book does not regurgitate the leftover ideas from the previous books.

And that brings me to the point I have wanted to make ever since Sunrose asked me to include him in my book if I ever write one. I have not been able to move beyond the first three chapters, and this rate, I will definitely not make it. They say that once you do the first fifty pages, the rest comes easily, but man, those first fifty are tough. For all I care, Raul Adhikary could be dead.

Oh yes, I went to the post-visa party of Pr. Im filled upto the brim. I remembered this because I think I might be able to reach that 50, and more, once when the other Pr leaves Nepal. I think that's going to be interesting, painful, funny enough to push me.

Right now, apart from the story of Raul Ahikary, I have two solid-sounding ideas in my head, which would definitely give at least ~100 pages, though probably not much more. One of them involves Pr, and the other is about Devkota, not Laxmi Prasad, but a closely-related.

2 comments:

  1. Darling delusional pickled cabbage: I suggest you pick up a book of mine and read it before you dare review it the next time. The book is called "End of the World" and it will soon be available in Bangkok bookstores.

    With love,
    Sushma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! I Ermmm... don't think I can go to Bangkok for that... Though I am sure it;s a fine city with great bookstores...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.