Why the heck is Kumaripati so popular now?

I don't understand where this Kumaripati craze started from. It seems these days Kumaripati is the most hot and happening place, for no obvious reason.

Let me explain. Whenever I ask my girl friends where they were yesterday 'coz I waited three frikkin' hours to go home together, they answer 'Kumaripati'. What? Where, again? Kumaripati, did I get that right? Really?

What is this Kumaripati? I understand it to be some place between ring road and Lagankhel, but I fail to understand what could be so hawwt about the place. It's totally understandable if people go to New ROad, or Durbarmarg or Thamel, or even Baneshwar, but for god's sake why would anyone EVER go to Kumaripati

Now, if you don't know what Kumaripati is, let me give you a vague idea. Ring road is the dustiest, and the most unfashionable and uncool place to be, specially around that area. Lagankhel is basically a huuuge buspark, with some wooden shop-stalls that sell the same stuff as Bhrikutimandap but at 1.5 times the cost, thrown in. You won't go there unless you live there or are a lazy-ass Patanite who can't be bothered catch a bus and go to Bhrikutimandap. Kumaripati lies between those two places. See what I mean?

A large herd of my friends went to Kumaripati for the third time in two weeks. I asked WHAT IS IN KUMARIPATI? WHY DONT YOU PEOPLE GO TO COOLER PLACES to AM.

She says 'there are lots of shops there'. Ahha! So, everyone goes to Kumaripati because can chose to buy from a multitude of Kirana Pasals, is that it? So if coke is expensive in this Kirana Pasal, you go to that Pasal for a cheaper coke? Kinda makes economic sense, amirite? You're not going to pay 19 rupees for a bottle, when you can get it for ONLY 18 in Kumaripati, 'cuz that is soo dumb.

Okay, apparently they also have looga pasals, where you can gawk and bargain, but don't really have to buy anything. But, but, Baneshwar also has 'em and they're probably cheaper. What about real shopping places, why Kumaripati only? I am not at all convinced that people go to Kumaripati for shopping.

I suspect that there's a very secret sorority of eighteen year olds who go there for some supersecret reasons (and we can only guess the reasons). No, seriously. Either that, or Kumaripati is a secret code for some other place, like like ... I dunno, but some place. I suspect its like the 'cultural programs' that guys attended at Budhanilkantha. Sasi and Coa were always superexcited about those programs, and would always help other guys go there, despite the risks. Perhaps, 'Kumaripati' is a secret code for something similar?

1 comment:

  1. So. true. just moved to Patan. and realised that Kumaripati is gaining in strength in popularity charts, almost up to NewRoad,Thamel and Durbarmarg

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.