...and other things [Wednesday 28]

I had other things happen in my day besides the traumatic commute from the last post. Work was work, per the uzzhh. I went on my third(?) candidate lunch this week, which has led me to wonder if it's a good thing to have it happen to me or a bad thing, because... free lunches all week long, and all you have to do is talk to people for a bit sounds like a...scam...or a trick? In any case, there's a table-tennis tournament going on at work and I was matched against my manager and he put in a meeting called the duel and I totally zoned out on the tourney thing and figured it was a regularly meeting. I was kind of impressed he was naming our regular meetings so intensely, but then they told me it was for a game and I was relieved but also kind of disappointed because life is not that exciting and I shouldn't count on life suddenly turning around and becoming like a walls-street type of movie in a day. I've started liking the lunch from the Mediterranean place around work. Who knew falafel pita wraps could be so good, amirite people.

After work, my roommate SM had invited a couple of his friends --actually, people he hadn't seen in a while-- over, and they stayed around for a couple of hours. Very nice, fun people, also all very smart, who are doing a wide variety of different things, and again you realize the two-degree of connection of connected people in Kathmandu is pretty lame, but fun was had, AD was teased, etcetera. PK claims V, who hadn't been in our place before looks like AD's twin (they have the same hairstyle, the same facial hair, the same facial structure, work in the same industry, talk with the same-ish nepali accent, and even have some finance-industry acquaintances between them!) but AD claims that half the bahun men of our age group would look like twins if you took the bar for 'looking like a twin' so low. SM's experiment/demonstration with the balance device didn't go too well, and I was kind of disappointed at other people because I always enjoy a good trick and they let their judgments be clouded by too many critical thoughts. It's a dinner party trick, you're not supposed to try to run double-blind, triple-blind, control experiments on it okaay. Okay fine suggesting it is a good idea, for fun's sake but don't actually be...all...i dunno, science-y on it you know? I understand PK's comment 'do you believe in the laws of physics, cos your mind's gonna bloww' may have set the expectations unreasonably, but regardless of what the overeager showman tells you, you still have to remember dinner party tricks are just those, tricks that shouldn't be looked at too closely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.