Brown-sugar/raw sugar for jalebi

This is a part of 'project 110, going back and re-filling', writing is happening 8ish months after the date.

In my 4 month stay in Nepal I tried so many desserts, this has been the most dessert-dense period of my life.

Something wild I'd never considered that I got to try was jerri made not with syrup of regular sugar but jaggery syrup or raw sugar syrup. It gives a brownish tint to the jerri, the texture is also slightly crispier, and the flavor is a tad more metallic, earthy, deep. It cuts through the sharp sweetness of the syrup and provides a warm body as a contrast. And it's fun to look at. I tried it at a wedding and then at a mithai pasal, I became a big fan. It's probably due to consumer tastes that they're not more popular, but I'd like to live in a world where jerri made from raw sugar was just as popular as regular jeri.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.