Movie review: Pathan

This is a part of 'project 110, going back and re-filling', writing is happening 8ish months after the date.

I was tricked into watching the movie Pathan by my parents. I avoided some of the torture of this ridiculous flick my trying to take a nap in the theater, but the loud noises and incessant  songs weren't very conducive to a sound sleeping environment.

Let's start with this: Shah Rukh Khan should feel shame, as a man in his sixties, pairing himself against much younger actresses, and pretending age hasn't taken its toll on him and he's still a ripping-bod 20-something. Shame for showing an unrealistic portrayal of human body, and the male form, shame for disrespecting the viewers with not just absurd plot points but slap-at-your-face explanations and ignoring of common sense and logic that would make even the most forgiving watchers sigh. There's so many plot twists and turns, by the end of the movie one doesn't care anymore, just show us more of the scenery SRK, they beg him, and don't mind we won't complain about the threadbare plot that falls apart even at the lightest of introspection.

This is a complaint about Bollywood I used to have generally, but this movie does it the worse: the song placements are really awful. No complaints about the concept of musical numbers in general, but the way they're forcefully injected into the flow of the storyline is imperfect. Songs are though though, but I was seething as SRK danced with the much younger actresses. Get. A. Life. Dude.

I liked the ridiculousness of the movie though.

Seven stars out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.