What I want out of the perfect job

Here are the things I want out of a job. One does want money, that is the primary requirement. Here are other things that might override the money requirement. 

  • Money, a respectful amount. If it's too much then it's fine. If it's too little it's not so bad as long as it's industry-aligned, and there are other factors that make up for it.
  • Decent benefits, but that counts under 'money' technically.
  • A high-level understanding of what is happening. Why am I doing this? Why does this matter? Who does this affect? What will I be working in the future? Who else can we collaborate with on various matters? How can I change things for the better, in the big picture? How can I contribute to the big picture?
  • An ability to make a difference, in small and big ways. If I see the direction our group is taking is not the right one, I want to provide a feedback and be heard. It doesn't have to be listened, but I need to understand why my ideas are rejected. I will provide feedback in unrelated teams and sections, and need to be taken seriously with my ideas.
  • A feeling of mattering. If it feels like I don't matter, I don't feel secure in the job. What if they got rid of me in two months and nobody noticed? That's how I would feel even if that is unlikely to happen. I want to make a difference to my coworkers, and to our customers, whoever they may be. I want to interact with the stakeholders, and understand their problems. I want to understand the decisionmaking process and understand why we're making the decisions we do.
  • More people-to-people interactions. I don't want to become a cog in a wheel that just does its work and nothing else. I want to expand my social and professional circle. I want to get to know more people all across the organization. I want to get on coffee chats all the time. I want to explore physical and online interactions. I want to be known as the social-butterfly at work. I want to make sure everybody knows and remembers I exist. I want to be in a place where I can consider my coworkers to be my friends. I don't want to be an island of work in a vast ocean of my organization, as it is right now.
  • I just want to interact with people on a daily basis man, I don't want to be a loner as they have forced on me as it is.

 high level understanding, ability to change things, seeing that I matter, more people to people interaction

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.