Pretzel day!

I made pretzels today and it was great to get back in the kitchen after the break. I looked up several different recipes and combined them in ways that seemed reasonable, made two mistakes that cancelled each other out in the end so that was great. Honestly they look like the pretzel version of bagels, ain't complaining about that though.

The thing is, it took me almost three freaking hours to get it done. My biggest mistake was to divide the same motion into multiple groups, so I was processing the entire flow one or two bagel at a time. Which meant I was dividing my time and attention between stretching out the dough, boiling the dough, and putting the bagels in the oven, while I was working on a different bagel. Some bagels were forgotten and left in the oven for a bit too long, some were boiled a bit too much. If only I'd shaped all the bagels first, then boiled them all, and then baked them in batches in the end, I estimate I'd save upto an hour, perhaps even more, and a tonne of energy in heating and gas costs. Important lesson though. Need to start cooking baking more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.