What we've been upto: Catan

This week we've been playing a minimum of one game of catan every day, the three of us.  It's mostly PL who wins them and he makes fun of me when I insist it's mostly about luck. In my defense I make the same claim on occasions I win also.

Just to kill time and stretch those games for longer and more fun we've changed the rules around so the games are faster but also take longer to end. So the 'victory points' requirement is higher, but it's really easy to get rid of the robber and there's tonnes of extra ports on the board,  we always play on the large board meant for 5-6 players so there's more room for us to stretch around and gain resources.

The dynamics of the game change in the later part when wood and bricks become lot less useful and those that invested originally on ore and wheat reap benefits, if they were able to make it that far. Which sucks for me because I can keep only one gameplay strategy at a times, my head hurts when I think too deeply about strategies to win. PL is always planning and scheming and thinking, maybe that's why he wins -- that would be his argument anyway, but really Catan is mostly about the luck and the rolled numbers. You can do a perfect game and still lose pathetically because you just didn't roll the right numbers.

My suspicion is that the dice we're using is more favorable towards higher numbers so you're more likelier to get an  8 or a 9 or a 10 than 4's 5's and 6's, but they tell me that's just the loser in my complaining. Not true at all. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.