Be back on socials soon(ish)

The NYC trip was a big learning experience. Much was learned about the self, about physical places, about this country, so forth. The biggest learning was this: perhaps it's time to get back to social media. Instagram should be the ideal point of entry, if nothing else. It's relatively relaxed, quite similar to snapchat, and easy to use as a dating app. Everybody else appears to be doing it too. Folks have been using it as a dating app for the longest time ever, I'm told. Just find people with Nepali surnames near your physical location and add them. Eventually they add you bag. That is how a journey into love and relationship begins for many these days.

But that's not all. Social media -- instagram at least -- is also how people keep in touch with friends. Facebook is not the incredible tool it was anymore. But one still needs to be aware of existence of the extended network. I use snapchat for the network, it's a silly tool. Nobody else uses it. If I just replaced my networks, but maintained my attitude, nothing much would change, right?

I've given myself a deadline. This Thanksgiving. If I don't make significant social and romantic progress by then, it will be time for the 'gram. No other way. There was a promise made a long time ago in 2012: if facebook was still a big deal by 2020, I'd get back on it. The product wasn't as big, but a property (insta, messenger,whatsapp) was. I held on to my goal and ended up not joining. At this point the whole purpose is less clear.

Pointless victories, principled stands, and ego-driven grandstandings are the worst. I said this three years ago when I moved to Seattle, I'll say it again. I don't want my ego to get in the way of my happiness. Either I must take action to change my circumstances, or join social media. Those are the two options. Stillness is not a choice anymore, as the ongoing situation is fluid. To keep up with the stream, I'm swimming anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.