Failure with routine during travel, and how that might be a learning opportunity

Once again we're on the same old topic: maintaining routine. It's great for my mental health and for getting things done. And often I can get regular daily system going on when at home. Things are different during travel. The latest trip to NYC was no different.

I had the time, didn't write. I had the time and opportunity, didn't meditate. There was capacity, but didn't go on regular walks unless made to. Didn't read either, nobody disturbed or bothered me. Didn't even take my vitamins and meds I'd so carefully packed. What was up with that? A bit disappointed in retrospect, but as long as I'm not too anxious it should be okay. My routine is not a diktat, it's a tool to help myself be grounded and see what lies in the future. If that's not working, it's not working.

How do I use it as a learning opportunity? If I go on small trips, I can train myself to get more disciplined. Crash at a friend's place, make myself take meds and workout. Go to a buddy's bachelorpad overnight, and make tea in the mornings before meditating properly. Stay with family, and write, read and relax in proper times. It's all about training and practice, isn't it. I don't travel as much anymore, and it can be hard. Specially so when I'm crashing on a couch. I was sharing the couch with the doggo, so one can say I had zero personal space. When there's no space of one's own except the few moments at the restroom, it's reasonable to be ungrounded, confused and looking for stability. It was a short trip at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.