How the hell can one not find nice pair of decent shoes in NYC!

I had to buy expen$$ive camper shoes in NYC because apparently you can't fucking buy regular-people shoes in the entirety of the city!

I needed shoes for the wedding. The plan was to buy 60-something ones, at a place like Clarke's. I had four hours to go to the right place. I went Southwards from East Village, there was a Marshall's and a bunch of other stores. The Marshall's didn't have my size, a big misfortune whose importance I didn't realize at the time. The Katz's delicatessen was insanely busy, the lines snaked around the block.

I checked four other shoe stores nearby. All of them were 'we buy and sell shoes'. They were effectively places where economically-disadvantaged folks could bet on the prices of shoes. I just needed something to put on my feet. I didn't want to get rich! I didn't want to speculate on the shoe-prices. I went to four or five places, and they were all priced to...speculate. As if you were going to become a millionaire by timing your shoe buys and sells.

Eventually i ended up at Camper Shoes store. I figured I'd check the prices and bail out if they were too pricey. As it happens, those fuckers don't price their shoes openly. I searched online. They'd be the priciest shoes I had ever bought. I found a green pair of shoes. They were decent and the salesman recommended to me. I didn't have much time anymore, because the time for wedding was running out. I bought the pair. Very pricey. Ah well, another couple of hundos down the drain, that's how it goes in NYC.

When I'm in NYC next, I'm going to be very careful about where and how I'm shopping for shoes and other supplies. It's clear some of their markets are crazy fucked-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.