I need to be cooking when traveling, realization of a dependent person

The poor eating experience in NYC made me realize something. I need to be cooking wherever I am at. I enjoy cooking, and like my own cooking. If I cook for my hosts, it makes them happy too. Cooking is always cheaper than eating out, even in the worst possible combo of prices. I was at the culinary center of the Universe, and missed home-cooked foods.

It would be quite easy to go to a nearby grocery store. Trader Joe's and the likes are everywhere. For a $20 or so that it costs for a meal, I could feed myself and hosts for three meals. Frozen meals from there are much better than trash food at a restaurant. Sandwiches are 100% better when I make them.

I realized this when I was writing the post about getting properly unpacked to my travel destinations. To feel at home, I need to be comfy in terms of 'storage' and eating. If I buy tj's groceries (the hosts feel thankful) and pack/unpack properly (the hosts don't feel like hosting a refugee camp), I feel right at home, and am doing favor to other people. The money-saving and flavor is an additional benefit.

I should explore more of this in the future. Cooking for three is not that much harder than cooking for one, it's not like I'll be wasting time either...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.