A few strong opinions on the toxicity of the 'manosphere'

This is a complaint, bear with me. It comes from my experience during the New York Trip. I wasn't unaware of things mentioned, but the trip brought them to the forefront.

First, a dude in his mid-twenties who went to my super-liberal college should not be surprised when his awesome NYC date bails out on second date the moment he mentions famously fascistic women-hating celebrities. He was. Zero self awareness. Zero understanding of the fact that people perceive the world differently. He had the gutso to want to not back out on his uh principles and beliefs. In all fairness, he was quite the moron apart from his gender politics too, so he wasn't just flagrantly misogynistic, he was possibly mentally ill. One hopes he is able to recover.

There are other people in the manosphere around me who have espoused similar though not as quite virulent beliefs. They have had the good sense to shut their traps around me. It's quite possible they've have dulled their sharp understanding of the world as they grow and mature. One sure hopes so.

I am so fucking disappointed by the moronic, incredibly self-harming, brain-dead manosphere around me. To call it toxic would be giving them too much credit, for a toxic dump of nuclear waste cannot think for itself and they can.

I'll make a final observation on this matter. I had expected some people to be more ready to settle down and form long-term stable relationships. It was not an unfounded assumption, as it was they who had informed me of the needs. From what I heard 'in the manosphere' in NYC, it appears their social goals and personal goals are divergent. It's possible they are prepared to renege on points of agreement long before they've identified those, or found folks to come to a common understanding with. I will give them benefit of doubt there. We will assume it's just men shooting shit with each other. One hopes cleaner shit is shot on occasion as well.

Unfortunate situation here. Developing into many different directions, will write more on this as it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.