LaGuardia is the best New York area airport...THERE, I said it!

I landed at and flew from LaGuardia airport on this New York trip. Newark would have been cheaper, but the airport was so much closer, and I'd have saved a lot of money in getting to my destination. And man what a choice I made! I remember until quite recently that LGA used to be the punchline to jokes about how awful airports could be. Not anymore!

To begin with, the airport is cosy, but modern and has all the amenities one can expect from modern infrastructure. It also happens to have what most new airports don't: natural lighting, so much of it. The shops are close to the gates, their prices won't cause nosebleed and there's a decent variety among them. It's a solid airport that I wouldn't have given a second thought to it save for the terrible reputation it had before.

My favourite part of it is how close it's to the city. I was able to get to my friend's place after getting off the plane in about 50 minutes and less than three dollars, which is unheard of in NYC! It really was incredible. My favourite bus in the whole wide world is now the Q70, which is free, and the shuttle takes you right in the middle of Jackson heights, to the 74th station. I chose to get into a momo shop before heading into town, and even the possibility that one can get into the heart of NY commerce within 10 minute free public-transport ride is a mindblowing concept. Compare this to JFK which takes a good 2-hour to get, and 25+ buckaroos in money, plus so many interchanges and oh so much confusion! Not so with LGA. And Newark is a whole different state, have to change train systems there too!

If you lived in the heart of Queens, you could realistically get home in a matter of 20 minutes in public transport from the airport in under 3 bucks. That too from an incredibly modern airport.

LGA is one of my favourite airports now, I'll look forward to other airports that can compete with it on price of getting there, convenience, and general modern amenities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.