New heating setup

This one's something I"m excited about though I fear my expectations may not match reality.

For the last several weeks my heating setup has been as follow: polystyrene plank, one which I keep all my jars to be heated, surrounded by the heating pad, all covered by a cardboard box. And on particularly cooler days and nights, all covered in a blanket.

I wanted to change the setup. Because the polystyrene slab is awesome and it letting lose bits off everywhere. And because having to take off the towel is annoying. Or the fact that I'm using my personal towel. Plus the setup actually leaks a lot of heat since I can feel the heat (a dozen fahrenheit warmer than the room) which means I'm paying to heat the room when I don't need to.

I bought two of those 'heated bags' that food delivery people carry their wares in. The outside bag is lined with air-filled packing bags in the inside, for insulation. Then another bag in the inside. Inside of which lay the heated pads and the jars. Close up the bag on top, zipped up all the time, with the zips arranged on the opposite ends so the warm air cannot easily escape.

After a few hours of initial testing it seems it definitely maintains heat better. Plus it's more portable, and I get heated bags in general and it looks nice instead of 'rachet'. Only con is that since the jars rest on a bed of insulation packets, it's not super stable, and I fear the glass of water may fall over, messing the whole situation up, but it's worked until now, a few hours after setting up. So much to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.