The girl in blue sweater

I had been dropping her outside the green gates for 3 weeks, every evening at 7. When she first flagged me down it was suspicious and I was a bit doubtful, but she turned out to be a funny, smart, wonderful person. I couldn't gather enough courage to propose a date outside the 25-minute ride, but I made sure to take the slowest busiest streets. I was an awful cynic then, done with the world, but even I could see myself settling down with her.

And just like that she wasn't there anymore to be picked up. I asked around, checked with the shopkeepers, nothing. I was burning inside. I gathered all the courage I had, on the third day knocked on the large green gate. Nothing. A louder knock and a shout. Nothing. I honked, and shouted at the house. After what seemed like an eternity, I heard creaks from inside the house. The gate slowly opened.

What do you want? a bearded man said.

Sorry, I have been dropping someone here, this young girl, about 25 I think, bright blue jeans mostly, blue sweater, thick-rimmed glasses? I've seen her going inside this house, we've become friends. Unfortunately I forgot to ask for her name, and she hasn't been around for a while now and I wanted to check if she was alright, I said in a single breath.

He stared at me. First at my face, then a glancing look at my entire body, then my face again. His eyes looked tired, confused. He closed his eyes. He took a long breath.

Come with me, he said, signalling with his hands. He shut the gate behind me.

I realized that the ghostlike girl in blue sweater was a ruse, only as she stood there, her blue sleeves all bloody, as she extracted my kidneys while I was still conscious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.