Is writing so much worth it

The point is to have every large thought, every chunk of reasonable idea, every half-conjured figment of imagination, documented and catalogued. Regardless of whether there's any merit to it. For the sake of memory really, but writing things down makes them more real too. Often I've begun referring to couple of ideas as 'ohh yeah I've had that thought and written a couple of thousand words on it'. The words are all crap but I was forced to think and evaluate, and when I'm talking to re-evaluate. So when I come back to the topic later on, I have a complete documentation of how that idea evolved in my head.

The other advantage is that it's a form of therapy, a way to open myself up to the world, to my friends and family and to be honest with everyone. Eventually the honesty seeps back into writing. Not that honest writing is good, or that honesty by itself makes you a better person, but it's a good start.

It's not just about the progression or evolution of ideas either it's about how they interact with each other, influence and ultimately shape my decisions. If I can pinpoint my thoughts to particular inspirations and conversations, and writings that were inspired by those, I can see clearly how the various ideas intermingled, and untangle why they interacted the way they did. This can help me understand my inner working more clearly. It'd be good to know what I really want and how the inside of my noggin works, that would be a solid step towards discovering it.

Small talk is important but so is big talk, conversations in depth about philosophy, existence, approach to life, and general lessons one can use to improve one's life. These don't come easy and are often specific to the lives people have lived. The generalized lessons are hard to adopt...how do you know which of the conflicting advices you're supposed to take when all of them are equally valid and legitimate in their own context? By unraveling context and the associated lessons, it gets easier to unpeel the relationships between life situations and the correct path/philosophy/approach to take. Writing incessantly, continuously and without stopping guides that towards a productive direction. So this is not just about expression -- aka saying something -- it's also about absorption aka listening and paying attention to what others have to say. Since I will have written down every thought I'll ever have had, I won't have the urgent need to absolutely blather it out at every opportunity I get so that I can remember it later...they'll be all safe here in my blog or my personal journal and comfortable at that knowledge I can pay my full attention to what other people have to say and evaluate how their ideas and opinions match with mine and what I can learn from them. Additionally this will also allow me to be succinct in my presentation when I do say something because I won't need to organize my newly-produced thought in a coherent matter...it'll already have been done here, all I'll need to do is literally communicate to them.

I think it's worth it as long as I'm putting in a good portion of my major thoughts and ideas in here. It's unclear if I've been doing that yet, or I'll end up doing ever, but that's a course of action I should approach with all the seriousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.