My work laptop is on its deathbed and I'm a little worried

 My work laptop is on its deathbed.

I say that not as a greedy employee who needs his machine updated every few years but as somebody who's been using the same piece of hardware for the past four years, and the model itself is almost seven years old also about the time when my company bought it. And the fact that the battery indicator for the machine says that the machine needs repair, and there's a slight chance the battery might explode or like leak. Also the battery literally pretty much doesn't last for longer than 20 minutes even though when I started, it went for hours and I was impressed at it. It's bad.

I should have done it last year honestly but I was afraid, with the uncertainties of covid and the job situation and potential firings, that they might decide that the cost of one extra laptop on me was not worth it, and they might take this as an opportunity to re-evaluate my contribution to the company and show me the door. Now that it seems I'm more safely and securely rooted into the company, it might be about time to make my move and ask for a new machine. Because I'm thinking if I wait until the machine completely gives up, it would be at least a few days of wasted time trying to setup the new operating system, my passwords and secure keys and everything and even then my workflow is going to be hindered as I get used to and adjust the new system to my liking. Better now than later, that's what I say.

Unclear what the company has to say on that though, and a small part of me doesn't want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.