I setup nextdns, tailscale is next!

Note for future me: I'm writing all of this in mid-November because I feel bad about not writing a thing during my VA trip.

This is not a big deal, yet I'm very excited about it.

I setupu nextdns on my cellphone, it's a dns resolver service with so many customization options as well as hostfile support, and an easily-configurable API! Which means I can control access for all the devices I can setup DNS for now. It's something I've always wanted but had so many issues figuring out before due to...well not knowing what to do. For the longest time I considered setting up my own DNS resolver, that didn't work because it's a lot of time to set it up and it's a 'custom infra' that needs being taken care of, and you need to code for the edge cases. NextDNS already does everything I do, and more, so no complaints here!

The next stage is to setup tailscale. It'll help me setup my own personal vpn, connect to my personal devices despite not being at home, and also export ports from my network to external traffic, while maintaining full control of hardware and networking infra. It'll be exciting times!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.