On: Teaching a young child

Note for future me: I'm writing all of this in mid-November because I feel bad about not writing a thing during my VA trip.

While in Virginia I taught my niece so many Nepali words, children's songs and the Nepali way of life, besides the usual 'what is this thing' and how to do things etcetera. Small problems arose when it turned out that she was in that precise part of life where they get rebellious for the first time, so she'd give me the wrong answers to the questions I asked, despite clearly knowing the answers, just to test what would happen if she didn't follow the script. On one hand that's a great sign of her psychological development -- it means she's curious about the world, a little bit rebellious at least, and explores the consequences of her actions etcetera. On the other hand, it can be frustrating because for a lot of things you really really don't want to get your patience tested because you want to do other things than be on top of a child all the time, and sometimes that's not possible. Alas. Still, it's such a great experience teaching young children the ways of the world, so rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.