I discovered Danielou is a shishya of Karapatri Swami, and it's okay

 Alain Danielou who is the author of Hindy Myths and Gods, a book I've enjoyed quite a bit, who quotes a certain 'Karapatri' quite liberally in the book, turns out he's the Swami's discipline, and was initiated to Shaivism by the swami. One the one hand, ugh, but on the other hand, the material is solid, the guy is respected by serious academics, and we do happen to be on the same side of the divine following. Like his arguments are all quite reasonable, and his work extremely reasonable and approachable. But still. Interesting to know he was of the faith. 

Also a bit of a bummer he just passed away three months ago. He was around when I started reading the book! I could have corresponded with him!

Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.