Drawing random illustrations and letting them grow is so much fun!

Over the weekend I drew a bunch of different illustrations, most of them featuring people. Because I need to get better at drawing people and placing them in physical environments. Drawing the environments and how they influence people in the scene. I'm so very bad at it still, that I have to keep reminding people, explaining to them what something is. And they're like, ohh yeah, kinda looks like that, huuuh. But they don't seem sold. It's okay, I don't think I know how to put in visual cues to identify locations and objects yet. The 'markers', visual shortcuts that can be used to communicate symbolic language. After all hand-drawn art is rarely a 1-1 representation of reality but a way to communicate an idea, object, or concept. Even a scene. If the idea comes across with using shortcuts, then you can spend more time on the details, while being sure the artistic flourish you've added to your object won't be misunderstood.

It's fun, it really is! To add and subtract shit from scenes, to create an atmosphere, and try to understand how my changes modify how I'm looking at or perceiving something. Progress is of course quite slow, nowhere as rapid as desired. Though to be fair, so has practice been, if I were to put full effort into understand and improving myself, and getting good feedback from friends and family, that rate would be quicker. Haven't put effort into that. Maybe i should get back to the commitment of drawing for 30 minutes, as quick as possible. Line of action, once again, to quickly represent available ideas, and go in to add details later. Oh what a brilliant concept that has been, I'm so glad I'm a student learning something that had been so foreign in the past!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.