Preserving my herbs in a sweet, acidified drink mix

 My herbs -- mostly basil and peppermint -- have grown massive in the hydroponic system. They're drinking like two liters of water every week. Don't understand where all that liquid ends up at. I'm impressed. Regardless, there was no reasonable way to consume it all. The last round's pesto sauce was just...ok. Plus I didn't have nuts at the moment.

So i blitzed the herbs --steps and all -- with lots and lots of sugar and some kombucha and stored it in the fridge. The idea is that kombucha and sugar won't let the mixture go off color or get disgusting. I can add this concentrate to my everyday tea or lemonade and feel refreshed. If this works out as well as imagined, this could be a year-round thing! What a great use of the herbs it will be!

Fingers crossed.

Still need to make sure the other herbs are thriving, and I'm not just 'cheating' with the easiest herbs that can be grown. Must get more serious about the whole personal-hydroponics thing. Yes, I understand it's mostly marketing. I enjoy it nonetheless and that's what's important.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.