Read screenplay, they said

Screenplays are great if you want to make your writing tight, I'm told. My editor said so. I went to this site called scriptsplug to get a good understanding. Essays aren't written like dialog though? The dialog is crisp, oh yeah. Nothing longer than ten words. Right to the point. You don't want to waste precious screen-time. Every extra second is thousands of dollars. The tighter the writing, the easier the editing, the quicker the production. Where do you start though? Just any screenplay or what? I've been stuck reading Chef (movie) script for the last three days. To. The Point. No rambling. I get it. But. How. What. It's hard, you know? What's the goal? The movie has to get somewhere. To the end scene. It has to evoke certain emotions to the audience. It has to convey a message. Make them understand the plot. These are principally straightforward tasks. The execution is tricky, I'll give you that. But you know the destination.

It's trickier to optimize travel when you don't know where you are going. I'm writing this 'to get better', 'just so', 'for myself''. To what end, exactly? Any practice needs clear motivation and goals. Soccer players don't run around the field kicking the ball hither-thither. Wrestlers don't just jump around and beat people up. Even artists(!) of all people have targeted practice. A clear goal. A vision.

What's my vision?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.