An Ode to Wegmans

RLD and I were talking last night about how Wegman's is a cult, how she'd recently discovered that, and how she's a recent convert. This despite having lived in upstate NY for several years without discoveries the greatness of the incredibly awesome groceries chain.

I'm a fan of Wegman's too despite not having any connections with Upstate NY where it started from. The store size is huge, it sells high-quality in-store products, offers a variety of items and caters to vegetarians and alternative-diet folks quite well too. For example, the choice of soy sauces I've seen in a wegmans, I haven't found even in a Chinese grocery store. The sushi soy sauce goes reallly well with my grits/oatmeal diet. They haven't gotten carried away by the 'fat-free' fat and offer 'whole-milk' alternatives to all the dairy products they have on offering. Their liquor section is one of the best, most affordable, and the coolest I've been  to, including large chain grocery chains. If/when I were to start drinking again, it would likely be due to the wild variety of options and the quality of those options thereof.

The other thing I like about wegmans is the different levels of price and quality they have available. If you are price-sensitive, you can get away with either the cheap store brands or slightly expensive name brands. But if you want more higher-quality/premium products, you can also buy the top-shelf goods, so to speak. This is not at all true for stores like whole foods, which only sell the expensive items, or market basket, which only sells inexpensive labels. For example, the regular wegmans brand eggs are 3.60 for 3 dozen eggs, which is one of the cheapest I've seen anywhere -- it's regularly cheaper than at Aldi's. Sidenote, Aldi is one of the other stores I'm really passionate about and will write about soon. On the other end of the scale, the free-range organic eggs they have on sale go for 6.50 a dozen. Twice as much the price for a third of the number of eggs. I've seriously considered eating only those freerange eggs but it's a little difficult to justify eggs that are more than 50-cents a pop, but I'm fairly certain I'll come around to it.

Love the veggie and fruits section, the scented candles section, the bulk bin section, the breakfast-items section, the chocolates, the cleaning supplies section, the international foods section, and the only place I've found rennet in the baking section was at Wegmans so love that too. So many reasonably-priced products of multiple varieties.

Funny thing is, I haven't even gotten started on their cheese and prepared foods sections for which most of the fans go gaga for. The cheese section I haven't mentioned because their cheeses are probably quite good, and those expensive, so I've been buying them only at Aldi's. The prepared foods I haven't had a lot yet because...I've never needed to.

What I have gotten is the burgers they sell at their restaurant, which is a real legit full-serve restaurant that also server alcohol. It has one of those coke machines with hundreds of choices, a good selection of craft beers, and well-made burgers. I'm not exaggerating when I say I would be down to go to Wegmans just to get the burgers if nothing else. I'm told Wegmans' burger place is a gathering place for meeting groups for various interests (in here it's about board games) and they're open to people just sitting and spending time not ordering anything as long as they're not taking away real customers' seats.

Read this if you don't believe me!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/05/13/why-wegmans-really-is-the-best-supermarket-in-the-u-s/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.