Wild dreams of Nuclear Silos

This was the dream I had this morning right before waking up.

I'm in Kathmandu, being driven up the hills to BNKS. I'm talking with SBK and he tells me his friend -- a spanish guy from MIT and a full-time professional architect -- had gone to BNKS the day before and he had fallen sleep suddenly over the night, he was in a hospital. I'm like, whatever.

I get into the campus and am in awe of the new building. It's majestic, magnificient, incomprehensibly large. I fail to understand why anyone would want to build such an incredibly large building on the hills in a suburb at a boarding school. It looks almost like one of those scary buildings in Metropolis in Superman. I go in, talk to the guards, explain to them why I'm there. They let me in, have me be guided by someone. We check out all the lower floors, they're mostly in construction, they tell me these will be converted into classrooms for the college they're going to be building here. I take the elevator up.

The elevator shaft is huge, the elevators are not. They're tiny in fact. The elevator we're on is almost child-size, a toy-like contraption that I'm not very comfortable riding. It takes us to the top floor and suddenly jerks shut, a few feet from the floor. No sounds. Fortunately for us, the elevator itself is open, so we just jump out of it to the floor, not wanting to create drama. The elevator falls down suddenly in the deep dark depths of the building. A short cut pipe dangles by from the top, and swings at me. I'm confused, and very afraid.

I'm thinking. I'm thinking. It can't have been a coincidence. SBK's friend who is an architect who'd know about buildings got sick. And I got shockingly close to a massive disaster. Something was up with this building. Someone was trying to discourage people from poking around in the building. I tell my companion, who's now replaced by my current roommate PK, that something's up, it's all so suspicious how all the curious people are being endangered. I tell him suspicion that actually I don't think SBK's friend is unwell...he may have well passed away. He thinks I'm imagining things. Something about the tone he tells me that tells me he may be on it too. I smile and say it must be the hunger, I do come up with strange and ridiculous theories when I"m hungry. I'm thinking, still thinking and thinking and thinking.

We walk down the building, we don't want to endanger ourselves with elevators anymore. I'm still telling PK how it's so strange the chinese decided to spend so much money on such a large piece of infrastructure at a school, instead of on more productive infrastructure. He says the chinese don't know what they're doing, they just have too much money. We're walking out of school gates after visiting everyone I know. I'm a little shaken and traumatized but I don't want it to be apparent.

I check the guest book as we check out. SBK's friend's entry is there. He entered at 11.36 and departed at 2.30. The next person came in at 6.30. On the remarks section next to his departure entry were the words "DEAD" written. I connect all the dots. It all makes sense now. I can't tell this to anyone or I'd be endangering myself.

They want be dead because I know the geology of the area and would figure out there had to be a reason for such a large expensive cavern in such hard rock, that it had to be worth it. With such a large cylindrical hole in the ground, I'd quickly connect the dots and understand what was happening.

The chinese are afraid of U.S. advances in the region and uncomfortable with how closely they're working with the Indians. And their nuclear capabilities can hit any part of China at any time. India is getting emboldened. The chinese need to make their moves without being too obvious. They come up with a masterpiece of an action. They will build a hidden nuclear silo in the most popular and elite school of the country. Where everyone who matters will have some family member studying. As safe a place as any in the country, protected like people protect their kids. They would build a large skyscraper with a wide base. The elevator shaft would be exceedingly large, but hidden behind other piece of infrastructure when completed. It would be dug deep within the ground, and it would be the path upward for the nuclear missiles. That would also explain why the construction crew got a separate entry and did a lot of work in the darkness of the night. And also the large new hill surrounding the building. The dig-out material was used to make the hill to hide the level of digging. It was a nuclear fortress, hiding right inside the most elite school in the country. I can't tell this to anyone or my life is in danger.

I come back to boston three weeks later. I reach out to the CIA/FBI and tell them what's up, and how crazy that is and something needs to be done. I find myself being tailed by random men. A hint left by a stranger in a random place tells me I've made a terrible mistake. It wasn't just a Chinese project. The Americans are in on it and encouraging it. If this gets revealed as it's being constructed, there won't be any nuclear missiles in there. The Americans won't get to send in the 'expeditionary force' inside Bangladesh and India, something they've always wanted to do. The Indians and the Bangladeshis won't just let American boots in the ground for no reason. But if he Chinese had nuclear missiles capable of hitting their capital a hundred miles away within a matter of minutes, they would need security guarantees. And thus the American presence. The Chinese didn't really care for the American presence in India -- they were close than that in South China sea anyway and a land-based force wouldn't dare cross the Himalayas. The Chinese would get to scare their close enemies with a nuclear silo right in their borders and the Americans would get to expand their force presence in the subcontinent, to no loss of China. If I let the news lose, I'd be a dead man.

I end up in an island, unharmed my any of the secret agencies some months later. I'm always on the run, but soon they won't care about me anymore.

I come back a few years later to the area. My dad wants to build a house there and wants me to return and live there, preferably married to someone. I'm tired of all the running and escaping and hiding by now. I move back and live near what everyone knows to be a dangerous nuclear silo. It's the most public positioning of dangerous weapons in the world and no-one cares. So it goes.

Many, undetermined number of years later, at the epilogue of the book, we find out that there's a college in the building, which is disrupted by officials shouting at everyone, blaring emergency sirens, etc, to get the heck out of the buildings. A shiny piece of metal with yellow-white fiery tail is seen exiting the building.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.