The kombucha situation, July 2022 updates

There's some good news and some alright news with my kombucha brews, lets go!

The good news is that I'm going more or less fulls-scale with the brews now, a gallon in first fermentation and about half of that in secondary fermentation. I can probably double this depending on how well the results turn out to be, but we're not there yet.

The flavor is...decent, the sweetness is gone by two weeks, and there's some nice hints of something good. Flowery fruity flavor. The not-great news is it's getting boozy too quickly, so much so that people are rejecting drinking it on the grounds that it's too alcoholic. Sorta related to that, it's unclear why the secondary fermentation hasn't worked out well yet because I'm not getting the fizz anymore, and so adding new flavors hasn't worked. Because the new flavor never gets incorporated into it.

I've been drinking it once a while though when I'm thirsty, with a cube or two of ice, and I ain't complaining.

The one thing I really wish to improve is that pellicle growth has completely stopped, no new gelatin mass is formed on surface anymore. For the life of me I can't figure out what the issue might be. I'm suspicious that the brew is overly yeast-forward and that may be causing the overly boozy drink, plus the weird flavor, plus the lack of vinegary taste because the yeasts are taking over everything before the bacteria can multiply, but dunno how that situation can be fixed.

Work in progress, more on this incoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.