My next reading obsession

I'm so obsessed with it I've even written to the Seattle public library to help me selecting the next top 5 books for me, because when I go deep, Oh I go so. very. de ee eeep.

Oh right, so my next reading obsession is the history of food and drinking, and the history of eating out. I want to understand how people have eaten and drank over millennia, what shapes their dreams and desire in their culinary journey, and what variables have shaped those desires across the globes. What is it in those cultures that shapes food habits this way or that, and how might things have gone differently if circumstances had been different? We know why french food is fancy and boogie all of that, but what if the French revolution had gone differently, what if the french food we know was that of poor peasants, what if Tanzanian food had somehow made it in the boogie scene, for example? And then exploring that to its ultimate end...how MIGHT one open up a cheapo french restaurant, serving the type of grub that the poor peasants ate? And not just the french, I want to know how my forefathers ate their food, how the culture was shaped in India, and in China, how the fusion happened, what is the history of IndoChinese food, how has Tibetan food evolved?

I want to take a gander at answering all those questions and using those to shape further more questions to have a 'good' understanding of the relationship between food and culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.