On Jackie Brown

Watched Jackie Brown the movie my Quentin Tarantino this evening. It's a fiine movie, in some ways better than Pulp Fiction ever, which is also the only other Quarantino movie I've watched and think I can watch. Can't watch his more action-packed and violent ones, and Once Upon a Time is a bit too much.

The movie is repeatably watchable. The most important thing about it is, particularly in the era of Netlifx and rewatches, it can be your background movie after the first few watches and you can catch it up wherever it's at. It's not as imminently quotable as Pulp Fiction and the characters are not as out there but then who can compete with those, they're all in a universe of their own. No, Jackie Brown is about people's insecurities, and how they choose to deal with it and the fear of impending nothingness.

And that's what the movie is about in its entirety: a fear of impending nothingness. The weapons dealer needs his retirement money to escape, his surfer-girl girlfriend needs him (and his money) to avoid nothingness, his buddy needs a direction cause and a little money to escape nothingness, Jackie Brown needs money and a thrill, the Bond guy (the dad from Modern family) needs real stakes and perhaps some personal life, the cops need the weapons dealer, the Bond guy's assistant needs recognition ("I find people, that's my job," he says).

And that's it. I'll watch it many times in the coming years with near and dear ones. Four out of four stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.