If I don't optimize my kefir workflow I'm screwed

 Here's the deal: milk kefir needs to be processed every day or shit gets fucked up. And processing it takes 15-30 minutes daily, probably on the longer side. And I don't really consume it that much to justify all that time spent. And then there's so much freaking cleanup after that. Plus my kitchen counter looks like somebody did hella lotta blow on it after I'm done.

I remember kefir processing used to take me forever and then I optimized the workflow, the trick was to use ladles instead of pouring liquids container-to-container. I have no doubt I can optimize kefir too.

The problem with kefir is as follows: I get chunky kefir. The chunks need proper filtering or else I'm left with just water and milky chunks. Which honestly wouldn't be the end of the world, except my stupid kefir grains are held up in the protein/fat blob too. SO every goddamn day is a search in the literal haystack for my precious grains.

I've identified a couple of possible solutions to this issue. One is to pre-emptively strain it, before the milk curd and liquid separates. That way grain extraction is easy. And then leave it out in the warm to process for another 12-24 hours. Potential problem is it may not go as desired, and still be tricky after doing it.

Second solution is to heat up milk right after getting it from the store, reduce it and keep it. That way the milk is thicker (maybe I could add evaporated milk to it too) and hopefully the kefir is consistently thicker so it doesn't separate. Potential issue, this may not work, though boiling isn't a big hassle so that's a plus point.

Third solution is to use the more expensive milk, the sort that I did the first two rounds with, so it'll come up thicker naturally without having to reduce milk. Problem is, I don't know if it was the milk that got me thicc results, so it's untested. And second it turns out to be so expensive, I might as well buy from the store. Though maybe because I won't be eating so often, this won't be an issue anymore.

So many things to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.