I uhhh overcooked the milk...for hours

 Dear gods, it's important to set a timer on the phone or literally any other device when one has the gas stove on and is not actively attending it. It's like the first three rules everybody should be taught before being taught to use the stove. In any case, yesterday I wanted to make yogurt and set the stove on low to warm up a gallon of milk. Since it would take like an hour, I figured I'd play a game of age of empires and come back. Well the game went longer than I was expecting, and the stress made me forget about the milk. A few hours later when I went to the kitchen for dinner, the milk was boiling away! The bottom of the pan had been scorched, and the milk had a slightly burnt taste, but that was all of the damage done. Fortunately no loss of the dish, no fires, no serious accident! Phew! That was a lucky one, because things could have gone much much worse. And in the end I made yogurt out of the milk after disposing of the burnt layer. I like the yogurt! It was perfectly acceptable! The milk reduced by a bit, which gave it a fruity(?) smell, and it dehomogenized which is perfect because I do love the layer of fat floating on milk.

But oh what a disaster it would have been if things had gone only slightly wrong. This is a wakeup call to be more mindful of what I'm upto in the kitchen, and to keep alarms and reminders all the time for 'medium term' heating situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.