On American Chinese food

Had some recommended food (recommended by roommate BB) from a nearby Chinese restaurant which was also recommended by our one-month roommate Chris (the world traveler who never stays in one place for more than a few months and takes odd touristy jobs and does exceedingly well) who said off all the places he'd ever had Chinese food in (and he had spent a considerable time in Hawai'i and California) the pork fried rice in the place was the best.

I ordered crab rangoon, because they don't use real crab, and noodles. The crab rangoon were pretty good, with the sweet sauce more so and the noodles were wayy wayy to greasy. So much so that I had to cut up half a lemon and make lemonade just to force it through my throat. There's still some leftovers in the fridge, will finish them a different they push them using more lemonade.

And that's how I remembered why I hadn't ordered American Chinese food in such a long while. Because i don't like it, it's pretty yucky and the flavor just...doesn't...feel like anything. Besides the fact that it's made generally by Chinese cooks and run by chinese proprietors, a lot of Chinese American food resembles very little the modern chinese cuisine that restaurants all across big cities are already serving. We don't have to make-do with crappy ripoff versions that are...more American reasons to take in sugar grease and salt in the name of multicultural global cuisine when we can have the real deal. Sorry May's, I used to love you, but it's over and now I'm into more contemporary Chinese food. Yes, authenticity is a hoax, but whatever passes for authentic chinese-american sweeet-grease is not good anymore.

All in all, my snow-soaked trip to get the food pickup was more interesting than the food itself alas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.