I made gundruk and mixed bhaat

The day after Aks(y) came to Seattle, I made really good food after a gap of a couple of weeks. Work has been kinda really 'sticky' lately, and it felt good to relax and cook.

For lunch I used up the remainder of the potatoes from way back, as they would have gone super bad if I didn't make good use of them. Started with the goal to make breakfast potatoes like PN do, using fennel seeds, but it evolved into chips chilli. Pretty darn good. I can never tell how long it takes potatoes to cook because there's so many variables invovled.

So I set rice to soak for the evening. It involved 4 different kinds of dals (black dal, moong dal, yellow dl, orange dal), black chickpeas, quinoa, brown rice and jasmine rice. It soaked up quite well, so I put 'em all int he pressure cooker with oil and cumin powder and couple of other spices, plus onions, and turned it into a pretty yummy dhido-like dish.

Since it was so very cold, and the rice was to feel like dhido so much, I made gundruk for veggies. I have a large bag of gundruk from...one of the boys who left it in my apartment, and I fried garlic and onion in oil, plus jimbu and tomato paste, lapsi powder and handful of gundruk into the water and let it boil after the original toast/fry. Turns out you can't just dump gundruk into the water, you need to cut it, so after it was cooked, I took the chunks out and cut them into very fine pieces. Accidentally added black eyed beans, and then pulled them back out because after calling mom it was discovered that it's generally a good idea to pressure cook the beans. That took the longest time.

Oh maaan the gundruk tasted so so so good. I should have made it earlier. I need to make more gundruk-sinki and other traditional Nepali dishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.