The silliness behind 10k steps a day, and how google fit has been fucking me over lately

Last year I was really good with maintaining 10k steps a day for months and months. I've been trying to repeat that this year and maintain the 'streak' of that number of daily steps. The issue is that there's no way to know if you missed by 20 or by 2,000, and the last couple of days I missed 10k steps by 20 step and 40 steps and 50 steps or something to that effect. Meaning the streak ended, pathetically, but I did the walk, in the cold in the rain and often quite miserably. And google didn't give me credit for it.

The basic issue is that the 10k steps a day is a concept unfounded in science or research. It was a marketing things brought up by some japanese company way back apparently, and the quality of those 10k steps matters a lot more than the count, and if you're not getting the right kind of workouts, even 20k steps are not sufficient to one's bodily needs. But it's always good to have something to look forward to, and for me that was those steps. But the effectiveness of setting those expectations has gone down because I'm grown to be more doubtful of the whole superstructure. Ugh, this isn't going so well.

And today, on the 25th, I didn't even go on a walk. It was raining pretty hard, and my living room ceiling was leaking hardcore, so much that the day was spent mopping the floor and replacing buckets under the leaks, but still a nice long walk would have chippered my mood significantly.

Whatever. Tomorrow's going to be a better day, walkwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.