Fermentation and other updates

The rice ko chhyang is not going as well as I hoped, things are far too dry, and no matter how much water I add to get things wet the rice seems to SOAK IT UP. Where's the water going, did I mess up the hydration of the water or is the container not tight enough, who knows? Going to be adding boiled water, a tonne of it because I can't afford to mess this up. I mean I can but it's too easy to not mess up.

Next two fermentation projects are kinema, which is extraordinarily easy to work with it turns out and it happens to be a Nepali dish, amenable to Nepali style currymaking and dehydration. That's perfect because I can use my oven as a fermentation spot. The other project is going to be tempe about which I've talked a bunch,

Besides these, I gotta get some moss, a lot of it for my houseplants, easy to save plants from losing water that way, and it looks hella cute that way. And then there's going to be stealing of random mint plans from the road that Ar(y) promised to do for me, that'll happen on our next walk. Finally there's the stealing of random small-ish plants, which I've not put enough effort despite planning for a year but as things are going green, that one's going to happen anytime now.

Also need to separate the bird of paradise plant because it's gotten way to big for a single pot, such exciting times.

The shiitake mushrooms are doing extraordinarily well, probably saving so much money there. And I've been pushing real hard on the fun shrooms too, just need to get it going.

Finally the water kefir has improved but not getting as fizzy as I'd like it to be. It's probably got to do with the water, or sugar, so I'm trying to rule those out, but if not, the plan is to add very strong kombucha and add extra sugar so the kefir flavor remains but kombucha does extra fizzying up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.