Mushrooms have been harvested

My first shiitake block has been harvested, good times.

Even though my hand was kind of forced by the block prematurely spawning against my intentions, it went really well all things considered. And yes I harvested a slightly too late, the result of which was a tonne of white mushroom spores all over my counter, it's not the end of the world and the mushroom will still taste yummy there's no doubt.

The most exciting part of it? I paid ten buckaroos for it, and harvested 1lb 4oz in the first time. And then three's going to be two more harvests in there, about half of that in total, which means I'll probably get to 2.5/3 pounds per block. Which means 3/4 bucks per pound, and that's an insanely reasonable price.

What's next for the project? Try to get as many flushes out of the existing block, probably two or three more. Which will be the first time I'll be attempting that, the previous two blocks have been 1-use, mostly related to bug-related issues. After that, the next mushroom specie I'll try is Lion's mane, and the more colorful species. Morel mushrooms, do they grow in blocks? And the more 'medicinal ones as well. Plus, the main target is to actually setup my own blocks from scratch.

Fun times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.