Some exciting other updates, it's also a repeat, kinda

Quick updates before I go to bed. I'm still playing 'catchup' because I had to complete March, but my writing hygiene has improved considerably and I can see how I'm going to be rocking in the future. Anyway, on to the updates.

So project rice wine has begun and I'm pissed at how easy it was, that I waited all this time for things to begin. Soaked sweet rice for 12 hours, washed it, steamed it, put it on baking tray for 10 minutes to cool down, smooshed down the chinese yeast balls tablets (amylase tablets) and sprinkled them in the rice. The only reason that I can think of my project would fail is because I was not too generous with the sprinkling, but the temperatures are low, the yeast is going to be slow, it might be alright. If not, I know exactly what I did wrong. And then in the end, I hydrated my red star champagne wine with some sugar water, mixed it thoroughly, and mixed in with rice. It lives in my spice cupboard right now.

Also cooked a lot of red eyed peas/beans for project tempeh. I've got vinegar, I've got cooked beans, and I've got tempeh. I'm going to inoculate the beans (dried) with the TJ's tempeh. If it goes as expected, success, and on to the next step. If it doesn't I know my tempeh is pasteurised and I need to acquire spores from elsewhere.

Milk kefir was exceedingly fizzy the other day, so experiments with naturally carbonating it have gone well. Natto will happen when I drop by a japanese store.

At this point, the only semi-disappointment I have is with kombucha, which still hasn't grown a full-on pellicle. Gotta restart that, though I don't really care for the pellicle as long as the liquid does its thing.

For the next big thing on plate, I'm going to be targeting doing the fun kinda' mushrooms from scratch. Two failures have been rough but it feels everything is right for another go at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.