What's the deal with powdered sugar, aka my water kefir is fixed!

 So I bought powdered sugar a couple of weeks ago, mostly as an accident, and used it for most of my brews since. Sugar is sugar is sugar I thought.

Turns out it's not. Got a tonne of problems. Such as, it gets everywhere, it's hard to control and pour, it doesn't taste great, and also oh it's not pure sugar sugar, it's got a tonne of cornstarch so if you're using it for fermenting things there's always some white stuff on the bottom, the corn starch. And apparently it's not got enough nutrients for fermentation things.

Which leads me to the next thing, the water kefir that I was having problems with fermenting and gassing up, I thought I was messing up multiple things, unclear which and had no clue how to fix them. Then I eliminated the variables one by one, and changed the water so now I only use tap water that's at least a day stale, or recently boiled, and stopped using the powdered sugar. And guess what, the kefir is gassy af and it tastes so goddamn good, the water kefir project could turn out to be an outrageous success at this rate.

Other point of note, I'm wondering if my kombucha is suffering from the wrong kind of water and sugar as well, and too much tea, so I'm going to be working on that next, everything is on the up-and-up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.