I have a small green onion farm now and it's...a bit much?

Several weeks ago I bought a large bunch of green onions from hau Hau market and kept them in the fridge. Ended up not using them due to the excess leftover situation, so they wilted away and were ready to die. About two weeks ago I was setting up new pots and planted the dying green onion plants in a pot to see how far they'd make it. The results are out.

They've made it quite far. As in, I now have about 20 green onion plants, growing aggressively, at a rate far exceeding at which I can consume them. Not every meal I eat needs green onions, but if I don't eat every meal, they'll start drooping down and dying. In a matter of a few weeks, I've gone from being excited at the single green onion plant thriving in the pots, to having an overabundance of them, and thinking of ways to get rid of them. One would be to freeze those, and use them later, but not there yet, though that will probably happen because yeah it's insane.

The good (?) news is that it turns out they don't give out infinite supply of yummy leaves, and eventually they'll stop growing and kinda wither away. After three or four good harvests. That means I'm multiplying my green onion efficiency by several multiples, but don't yet have a perpetual green-onion machine.

Phew.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.