Playing catch up with the veggies

All of my cooking can be summarized as me trying to catch up with the vegetables that are going bad in my fridge or trying to get rid of some raw ingredients that's nearing, or dangerously close to, its expression date. Actually, let me correct that. Playing catch up with a raw ingredient that has long past gone its expiry date and there's the chance it might contain a bacterial civilization. It's a tough game to play, because I don't generally stay in Seattle for extended periods, and I don't end up using all the raw ingredients that I buy. So when I do buy I do so to finish it all and because it has to be healthy. The problem is, I cook in large batches because spending two hours cooking for one, and the meal to not last beyond one individual meal doesn't make sense, specially when it's so hot in the apartment.

And so when I cook, I cook meals that last for six or eight lunches and dinners which means that whatever raw ingredient didn't get included in that meal has now been pushed away for you for a week, maybeweek and a half, which means if I had originally bought three different kinds of vegetables, there's one unlucky piece of raw ingredient or veggie that's will have waited in my fridge for weeks and potentially a month. Terrible. I know. But you know that's the state of life when you're a single person and cooking for one. I guess a potential solution to this could be inviting people over for lunch or dinner.

I've done that in the past and it's a decent solution. The only concern I have with that is that I don't want to feed my everyday grub to my friends and acquaintances. Because you need to put out your best while you're hosting. And what I feed myself daily is not my best. So that's not the ideal way to deal with the issue. I don't know what is. Obviously if stop being single, there's somebody else to share my veggies with and that does solve at least one big problem right there. I guess partnering up does have it's benefits, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.