I need to learn to make better use of my work hours, for when I'm not actively working

This is a topic I used to write on incessantly during my Boston days, particularly before the pandemic. Haven't gotten to optimizing my work hours in most recent times because I don't feel like I'm losing out on that part of my day anyway, but now that i think about it, my mornings are still valuable because I get up early and I'm paying for those morning hours with my lethargy and lack of energy, sleep, and my evening hours. I'm not getting any time for 'free', so what time I'm left with I must make the best use of.

So here's the situation, I get up at 5.45 in the morning, work until 1.30-2, and done with my work-day, but all that time I'm not fully working. And I don't even take a lunch break which is ridiculous! Like it's nonstop looking at screen, either for work stuff, or wasting my time on the orange site, or slickdeals or reddit or something, because I feel like I'm 'relaxing' from work. Or youtube. This incentivizes me to view those activities as relaxation even though going to those websites I don't find rewarding specially not in my leisure time, but the association made due to work downtime makes me think it could almost be.

What are my goals for this then, and how do I want to achieve them? I want to stop using reddit and the orange site completely, and eventually use minimal youtube for entertainment or shopping during work hours. Instead I want to use that time for reading, coding practice, or looking up technical information, whether it be related to work or not. Additionally, I want to create clear, distinct breaks during work, at which periods i'll go on walks, do my personal relaxation things, chill, and you know not think about work while not looking at the screen either. One more step towards reducing the screen time.

The way to do is to create riches of options for me to do instead, make a timetable, and live by it. If i want to make my work-from-home experience more productive, there's no way around it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.