Dave Barry is Killing It

 He's got a machete, and he's plowing down people...with his humor. Dude's been writing for fifty plus years now, and he's funny. Yes, his level of funny is ideally suited for a fifteen year boy who wants to grow up to become a...you guessed it, a humor writer. And yes his jokes are quite low-risk and easy to make. And it's quite likely he's okay with it. I would be okay with it. Being read by teenagers is cool.

After a ten-minute jaunt into his wikipedia and tvtropes pages I realize he's done a lot more than being read by nerdy teens. sigh.

Annoying as it is to admit, there was a time when maybe I wasn't laugh out funny but a little bit funny. You wouldn't let me run a comedy club doing four shows a week but if the comedian was late and there was dead space in, I could go fill in. Not in a comedy club but an essay version of one. I could make people groan grunt moan a little bit hooo boy lets not even go into the moaning bit, and they'd come out of it happy. Unlike now when they come sad tired and irritable. I blame the vaccines. My writing has gone down over the years, I can't funny and there's not much to celebrate. Jeebus christ what a chore.

And dave barry is killing it just killing it, his grandchild is of my age almost he still writes the funnies for the papers, publishes nonfiction once every two or three years, makes movies tv shows and also writes a tonne of fiction. I'm here sitting in this dingy dark room that hasn't been cleaned for a good part of this century desperately trying to egg myself into write a novel. Ahh what a brilliant novel it will be the readers ohh the readers how brilliant they're gonna be so impressed they'll piss their pants when they read what I have to offer, I think, with no clue what to write next, disappointing myself. Writers usually don't begin by disappointing themselves. Don't know, never met one in real life. Because I don't write well so they don't want the company of an untalented desperate hack who just tries so hard too hard its cringe-worthy.

Cringe cringe cringe.

How many tales can you spin out of a regular middle class okay maybe a little more upper than middle class existence in florida, in miami a city I would never have thought to provide inspirational matreial toa man of his calibre, of any calibre. He spun out nothingness into a yarn a hundred million people have held on to, what a god of creativity, surely he's been blessed by the coterie of his deities.

Why can't my deities do me something good, all they do is punish punish punish ask for more, ask total obedience and loyalty and in return? Nothing not even an acknowledging nod. Just on their own fucking around harrassing civilians testing those who really needn't be tested because they're in an effing crisis right now. Having fun, those fools. Sigh. It's a little tough sometimes.

What an asshole, Dave Barry. How is he doing so well. Life is unfair, and that is the unfairest of them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.