Here's why my writing has gotten more boring and less creative

What happened to my flights of fancy,
What happened to the stories that would take me unplanned places,
what happened to the comedy that would surprise me, and make me laugh,
and what happened to turns of phrases that would impress me after being written,
how have I managed to suppress and oppress my creativity by planning the shit
out of every written thing,
I have now perhaps the lifestyle and the discipline of an artist,
but not the whimsy and the dance with the chance.

Great writers, they say, let the stories be told,
I control the shit out of every word, every phrase now,
A younger me, an unknowing naive me,
perhaps thanks to the naivete,
wrote better I feel sometimes
put the words out to feel where they wanted to go
and didn't imprison them
with an urge to control them completely
like an overbearing dictator
with no sense of humor.

Is it that,
my reading has changed,
and the bland, boring, uninteresting
writings of the failed undistinguished writers
in tech and nerdy forums online
have gotten me hard and deep,
or perhaps that,
my need to hold myself accountable
has seeped me of the very vitality
I hoped to nourish,
maybe it is so,
that my psychological need
to keep everything predictable
and understandable,
has forked me now
by stabbing the creative arteries?

It is true,
in the general sense,
that my writing hygiene has improved,
now I need to bring back
the very spirit and heat
that started this very engine
of creativity.
Patience and discipline are a virtue,
but they are the strongest only when
they are in harmony with whimsy and weird.

Let's
Bring
Back
The weird.
And strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.