It's confirmed-this time is different

I've written eight posts in the past twelve or thirteen hours on my kindle. That's more than the total number of all the posts I have ever written on the plane before this. When I initially bought the kindle, I brought up the issue of whether the device was just yet another totem of hope or a useful tool to improve my productivity and commitment to writing. But this round makes it more clear-I've gotten used to this as a tool to write wherever I am, and the dozen-and-half posts published from here only add extra ammunition to the cause.
 

It's different because there's nothing to distract me in the device itself. Because when it's so easy to 'see' text persist on a certain physical location, it feels more persistent. The lack of a rotating screen, the lack of a separate input device, and the tactile feedback in the act of writing all make handwriting here much pleasant than any writing in a computer. Which is not to say I don't like computer posting- it's way faster, convenient and the posting experience is much less frictioned. But not when I'm not in front of my personal computer with lots of privacy in my personal space. Since I travel around a lot, and crash at people's places, this is useful for 'external' posting.
 

When I originally bought this device ten days ago, there was not much expectation of using it as a tool to write. It was supposed to be a reader thru and thru. I haven't done that much reading on this device it turns out. But it has found its use.
 

I projected to make the device worth the cost I'd have to read like 300 books in it. It wasn't a serious argument but seeing as to how often its been used, it might pay for itself shockingly quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.