The different ways of dealing with long flights

Friend N and I were talking about our preferred ways to divide long Journeys. I said I didn't mind a long flight if that meant a short layover that'd be done with and I could reach home on the quicker side than later. Because that way I'd have more time at the destination, and once I'm already in a 12-hour flight, what's four more hours, you know? I like settling down on a place and getting used to it so I have emotional strategies to deal with the experience.
 

N said he likes it differently. His preferred approach is to divide the Journey into chunks, have a stable and good time at every layover through the lounges) and then reach the destination all frosted up and ready for action. His view was-.. yeah he'd reach the destination later but he'd be fully functional and get out and about right away with no need to recuperate.
 

That was such an interesting and different approach to a common thing that it got me thinking. The issues I have with his approach are: I could hardly ever 'ignore' a 40/50-hour trip no matter how much break I'd had in between. Second, I don't really need all that break to be functional and out and about. A good night's sleep, combined with a little bit of effort to align one's mental clock to the destination would get me at the destination workflow. Plus, I'd find the most tiring part of the experience to be trying to get myself setup at different lounges and airports, better a one long medium-quality sleep than three or four high-quality but interrupted and broken up maps, please. It's hard to fall asleep in the best of circumstance as it is, wouldn't want to do it three or four times in one trip.
 

I wonder if our individual. approaches to this specific scenario can be generalized to ur personalities and approach to living our lives, or if it's one of the many many things one can do that just happens and doesn't say anything about anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.