Open air culture is amazing

I wrote (will complete soon as I write this) earlier this week on how the Covid restrictions and social distancing has made going out and being in the open even more important. You can't be with people in enclosed spaces and online meetings are just not as good as in-person ones, so outdoors hangouts are becoming the norm. Parks are full, restaurants are thriving etcetera.

Saw the proof of this earlier today in Haymarket. I went there to checkout cheap veggies and fruits -- not to eat but for project purposes. Dehydrating, powdering, making candies, syrups, that sort of situation. And ohhh boy the restaurants at Haymarket are poppin! They would have been doing better no doubt but the city's closed the small side streets and turned that into open-air seating so there's fifteen, twenty outside-seating tables in there which means with the old houses and cobbled roads and really long-lasting restaurants there, that area looks more european than it ever did. It's amazing. I'm quite excited about the possibilities really!

It has been the same in Davis Square as I've talked about before, so much so that it's really wanted me to go there one of these days call over a couple of guys and get beer pizza and wings for everybody. And have some myself, despite not feeling particular attachment to any of it. It's so nice you know, the concept I didn't find too enticing to begin with...what's so great about eating out in the open, ingesting all the street grit and dirt all of that, I thought. But now...it makes sense. Indoors are dark and dingy indoors are cold and controlled even if they're warm physically. Outside is bright fun and so...chill, even if it's cloudy outside. I've had food and drinks outside when it was raining, it was one of the most memorable experiences I've had in Boston.

Wish all the cities and places adapted to this. Not just for the summer, for throughout the year. Firepits and gas flame heaters in the winter, fireproof plastic coverings in the Spring, let the air flow in. Protected by the elements while it's snowing outside, yet out in the nature. I don't mind dressing up a bit if it means being out their, hanging out with my posse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think. I'll read, promise.